Persimmons are a fall fruit that comes in two varieties: Fuyu and Hachiya.
The Fuyu is the less astringent of the two and has a honey-like sweet taste that is rich and mild at the same time. Roasting Fuyu persimmons with warm spices brings out the soft nature of this firm fruit, makes them even more delicious and enjoyable.
So, let's get started with the recipe!
4 Medium Fuyu persimmons
1/2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 Tsp. smoked sweet paprika
1/4 Tsp. sea salt
1/2 Stick melted sweet butter
1 Tbsp. chopped toasted pistachio
A dash of cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a bowl mix all the spices and sea salt.
3. Wash, dry persimmons, cut off and discard the tops and bottoms of the persimmons.
4. Slice the persimmons horizontally into ½ inch slices, brush each sides with melted butter, sprinkle each slice generously with the spice mixture and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pic. 1.
5. Roast them in the oven until the tops of the persimmons turn slightly brown and are tender, about 10-12 minutes, pic. 2.
6. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
7. Arrange them on a platter, garnish with chopped toasted pistachio and a dash of cocoa powder, pic. 3.
Enjoy them as a healthy snack, appetizer with a sprinkle of grated vegan parmesan cheese, salad on shaved fennel with a sprinkle of chopped toasted pistachios and citrus vinaigrette, dessert with a scoop of vegan vanilla gelato and a splash of grand mariner and even for breakfast on top of yogurt with granola.
Chef Ellie Lavender
Vegan Mediterranean Personal Chef
Culinary & Wine Pairing Instructor
Lavender Design + Cuisine
Join my network on Facebook & Instagram to receive recipes
on upcoming workshops, chocolates, culinary & wine pairing classes, and special events!
Copyright © 2021 Lavender Design + Cuisine, All rights reserved.