How to Craft a Highly Successful Elevator Pitch That Will Land You Big Business!
What is an Elevator Pitch?
This is the 30-60 second business description of what you do and why people should do business with you. It’s called an ‘Elevator Pitch’ because it describes the challenge: ‘How would you explain your business and make a sale if fate placed you in an elevator with your dream business prospect and you only had the time it takes to get from the top of the building to the bottom?’
Why Is Having an Elevator Pitch So Important?
You only have 30-60 seconds to make a powerful first impression. The attention span of the average person is just 30 seconds before their mind starts wandering. The other reason is people have less time today. You need to grab them quickly or lose them forever.
Elevator pitch - 5 tips for creating a strong sales message:
1. Figure out what is unique about what you do - The whole idea behind a great elevator pitch is to intrigue someone. It's an ice-breaker and a marketing pitch — all rolled into one. Your elevator pitch must have a hook. 'I own a café in downtown' doesn't hold a candle to, but 'I own a café in downtown and offer gourmet vegan Mediterranean foods beautifully paired with wines' does!
2. Make it exciting - A superior elevator pitch increases your heart rate. It speaks to who you really are and what excites you about your business. It has integrity. What is it about your business that really motivates you? Incorporate that!
3. Keep it simple - A good elevator pitch doesn't try and be all things to all people. Rather, it conveys a clear idea in a short amount of time. It might be a few sentences, but no more than a paragraph or so. Keep it under 30 seconds.
4. Write it down - Use the guidelines above and take a stab at it. Write down your pitch, say it out loud, re-write it, and then re-write it again.
5. Practice, practice and practice some more - The first few times you try out your elevator pitch may be a bit uncomfortable, but it gets easier. After a while, it will become second nature to you, and when it does, you will be glad you practiced. You never know what will come from having a great, natural, elevator pitch, but you can bet that you've just increased your chances that it will be good.
- Elevator pitch opens the door to business
- Elevator pitch is an intro – meant to open up a dialog
- Elevator pitch is a work of art in progress
- Elevator pitch is about why you do what you do
- Every opportunity is a networking opportunity
- What is the hook, why you do what you do and how you do it
- Be yourself, everyone else is taken
- Who you are and how you present yourself is your ultimate business card
- Smile, smile, smile and smile some more
Join my network
on Facebook & Instagram to receive Feng Shui & Interior Design tips
and information on upcoming workshops & special events!
Copyright © 2019 Lavender Design + Cuisine, All rights reserved.