Take a trip to Provence, the land of heavenly lavender, make a Pear Fig Lavender Tart!
Pears and figs are in season and with a touch of culinary lavender flowers they’ll make a heavenly tart! This is a very lovely recipe, absolutely divine by itself, though much lovelier with a shot of espresso, a cup of tea, or a glass of pinot noir. Enjoy!
1. 2 large Barnette pears
2. 3 medium-large fresh figs
3. 1 Tbsp. orange rind
5. 1 cup fresh orange juice
6. 1 1/4 cup spelt pastry flour (alternatively, you can use 1 cup of spelt pastry flour and 1/4 of almond meal)
7. 1 1/4 stick sweet butter (melted and at room temperature ). Vegan version, use Earthbalance butter.
8. 1/4 cup sugar
9. 1 Tsp. culinary lavender flowers (finely chopped)
10. 1/2 Tsp. culinary lavender flowers
11. Tart pan (11 inch diameter) with removable bottom
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Place the tart pan on parchment paper and cut into a circle with additional 1 inch over the size of the tart pan in order to cover the tart pan’s wall.
3. Brush the parchment paper with the sweet melted butter, speckle a few orange rind, a few lavender flower and 1 Tsp. sugar.
4. Wash figs and slice them gently.
5. Wash pears. cut in half, remove core and thinly slice them using a Mandoline.
6. Arrange figs in the middle of the tart pan and the pears around the figs. like a sunflower.
7. Sprinkle a few orange rind and lavender flowers on the figs and pears. Pic. 1
6. In a bowl combine spelt pastry flour,1 Tbsp. sugar,1 Tsp. lavender flowers (finely chopped). Add in the orange juice and melted sweet butter.
7. Mix lightly to incorporate all ingredients. Do not over mix. It’ll make the tart dense.
8. Pour the mixture over the figs and pears and with a spatula flatten it to cover them. Pic 2
9. Bake the tart for about 30-35 minutes until golden. Pic 3
10. Let the tart cool for 15 minutes.
11. Flip the tart over on a plate Pic. 4, remove the parchment paper Pic. 5 and let it cool for 30 minutes before serving. Pic 6
Chef Ellie Lavender
Vegan Mediterranean Personal Chef