Apples are delicious, nutritious and with a touch of culinary lavender they’ll make a heavenly tart! This is a very lovely tart recipe, absolutely divine by itself, though much lovelier with a shot of espresso, a cup of tea, a glass of pinot noir or a scoop of orange gelato. Enjoy!
1. 3 medium Apples (gala or honeycrisp apples are best for this tart)
2. 1/2 cup dried cherries coarsely chopped
3. 1/2 cup crystallized orange chopped into very small pieces
4. 1 Tbsp. orange rind
5. 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
6. 1 1/2 cup spelt pastry flour
7. 1 1/4 stick sweet butter (melted and at room temperature ). Vegan version, use Earthbalance butter.
8. 1/4 cup sugar
9. 1 Tsp. culinary lavender flowers (finely chopped)
10. 1/2 Tsp. culinary lavender flowers
11. Tart pan (11 inch diameter) with removable bottom
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Place the tart pan on parchment paper and cut it into a circle with additional 1 inch over the size of the tart pan in order to cover the tart pan’s wall.
3. Brush it with the sweet melted butter, half of the orange rind and 1/2 Tsp. lavender flower. Pic. 1
4. Wash the apples, cut in half, remove core/speeds and thinly slice them using a Mandoline.
5. Arrange apples in the tart pan. Sprinkle the rest of the orange rind on the apples. Pic. 2
6. In a bowl combine spelt pastry flour, crystallized orange, cherries, 1 Tsp. lavender flowers (finely chopped) and 1/4 cup sugar. Add in the orange juice, melted sweet butter. Pic 3
7. Mix lightly to incorporate all ingredients. Do not over mix. It’ll make the tart dense. Pic 4
8. Pour the mixture over the apples and with a spatula flatten it to cover the apples. Pic 5
9. Bake the tart for about 35-45 minutes until golden. Pic 6
10. Let the tart cool for 15 minutes.
11. Flip the tart over on a plate, remove the parchment paper and let it cool for 30 minutes before serving. Pic 7
Copyright 2017, Lavender Design + Cuisine