Take a Trip to Provence :: Make Apricot Lavender Galette
Galette Dough Ingredients and Instructions: 1 cup spelt flour, 1/2 cup ground almonds meal, 1/2 Tbsp. sugar, pinch of sea salt, 6 Tbsps. cold sweet butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup ice water. In a bowl mix spelt flour, almond meal, sugar and sea salt. Add in half of the cold sweet butter (3 Tbsps.); use a pastry blender or your fingers, to blend the butter and mixture until it resemble a coarse meal texture. Add in the remaining of the cold sweet butter until the largest pieces are the size of lima beans. Drizzle the water over the dough and mix until moistened. Gather up the dough and knead it 2 or 3 times. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
1. 5 Tbsp. sugar
2. 1 Tsp. fresh or dried organic lavender flowers
3. 8 Semi-ripe apricot, sliced into 1/4-inch wedges
4. 3 Tbsp. Sweet butter cut into small cubes (vegan version, use any non-dairy butter)
5. 1 Tsp. Meyer lemon zest
6. 1 Tsp. Meyer lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix 4 Tbsp. of the sugar and 1 Tbsp. of the lavender flowers (lightly chopped), thinly sliced apricots, Meyer lemon juice and zest.
3. Roll out the galette dough until it's about 14 inches in diameter; transfer to a baking sheet.
4. Arrange apricot slices (see picture above), sprinkle the remaining lavender flowers.
5. Fold the 2-inch border of the dough over the apricots and pleating together (see picture above).
6. Dot the apricots with half the butter, and then melt the remaining butter and brush it on the pleated dough.
7. Sprinkle the galette with 1 Tsp. remaining sugar and bake until the apricots are soft and the crust is nicely golden, about 40-45 minutes.
8. Let cool slightly, garnish with the lavender sprigs, and enjoy it with a glass of wine, a cup of coffee, espresso, tea or just by itself.