Apples and almonds are a lovely combination, but adding lavender makes them even more wonderful. Enjoy this lovely recipe!
- 4 Tbsp. organic sugar, plus additional for finishing
- 1/2 Cup ground almonds meal
- 1 Tsp. fresh or dried lavender flowers
- 4 Medium peeled Pacific Rose apples, chopped into small pieces (see picture above).
- 3 Tbsp. sweet butter
- 1 Tsp. Meyer lemon zest
- 1 Tsp. Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almond
Galette Dough: 1 cup spelt flour (or flour of your choice), 1/2 Tbsp. sugar, pinch of sea salt, 6 Tbsps. cold sweet butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup ice water. In a bowl, mix the flour with the sugar and sea salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, add in half of the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in the remaining butter until the largest pieces are the size of lima beans. Drizzle the water over the dough and stir until moistened. Gather up the dough and knead it 2 or 3 times. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp. of the sugar, the ground almonds meals, and 1 Tbsp. of the lavender flowers (lightly chopped).
- Mix apples with Meyer lemon juice and zest.
- Roll out the galette dough until it's about 14 inches in diameter; transfer to a baking sheet.
- Spread the almond mixture over the bottom, leaving a 2-inch border, pour the apples over it, scattering with the remaining lavender flowers as you go.
- Sprinkle on the remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar, then fold the 2-inch border of the pastry up and over the apples, pleating together to contain the fruit.
- Dot the apples with half the butter, and then melt the remaining butter and brush it on the exposed dough.
- Sprinkle the buttered dough with additional sugar and sliced almonds and then bake until the apples are semi-soft and the crust is nicely browned, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve with tea, coffee, vanilla gelato or just by itself.